Monday, November 3, 2014

Be anxious for nothing

Philippians 4:6-7New King James Version (NKJV)Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 

I might have mentioned this before, but for those of you who know Dan know he is not a very patient person. God knows that too, and I think along the way God might have thought this might be a good way to challenge Dan on this. 
July was LONG and wet. Each time it rained, Dan would pray for it to stop, and it would just rain more, which would just make him more anxious and frustrated, and would leave me just a little weary. I would try to remind him that God had a plan, but well, then there was that patience thing. 
A few years ago I did a bible study on patience. This was around the time I was changing to my current job. The district was hiring for the position I now hold, but they weren't sure exactly how and when they wanted to go about it. I applied at the end of May. I don't think there was even interviews until July, even though they had stated in the advertisement of the job, it would start July 1. Then they did not call me until late August, and I was already starting back to my job with Drake Headstart. All along I was doing this Bible study, and the passage that kept coming back to me was Mark 1:3-4
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.


During this summer of waiting for me 9 years ago, each time I tried to push what I wanted, God made me wait. God taught me a very valuable lesson that summer that He is in control of things, and he knows the best timing, and it was. I was having a hard time dealing with leaving the classroom, and leaving my little ones, but one week of Headstart and I knew I had made the right decision. God also grew me in many ways in my current position, and I dealt with some very challenging situations, and people and if it were not for the time and trials of God growing me in patience before I took the job, I probably would not have been ready, and would have definitely thought I make a mistake in taking the position. I did not.

Getting back to this summer, I would try to remind Dan, which would frustrate him further. I had started to take notice of something along this journey we were on, something that I mentioned to him one night. I told him, " Dan it seems along the way, the more you try to grab hold and control when things are going to happen on our place, the more God shuts you down. But the moment you let go, things happen. He looked at me like I was a moron, probably said as much as well, but then it happened again and again. Usually his "letting go" came after he would sit through one of Pastor Phil's or someone's sermon at church, and he would be convicted. Then, he would relax a little, have some faith, and God would act. He get's a little angry at me when I mention this even now, but I feel this "impatience or anxiety" is just part of Dan's journey.


Jake climbing a tree on the 4th of July

One of my landscaping projects

More landscaping projects

Start of our circle drive by the house
July at work means billing, and this tape was just from the afternoon. Yuck! 

Do I look happy in this picture? No- that might be because Dan kept saying "It's going to rain, I need to put the tractor away, but then kept on "playing" on the tractor for the next 20 min. By the time we got to putting the tractor way it was POURING, and I looked like this. 




Lots and lots of dirt work and landscaping

Dan standing by the home site


Thanks to our former neighbor Jeff, and our good friend Duanne, and Jen and Grant, we were able to get our water line trenched in one evening, and the water line put together and buried. 











No comments:

Post a Comment